Home > Forum
Title: Astragalus Dosage
Reply this topic
Messager Message
Trevor Posted - 18/5/2016 3:56:50
Hello!

I just bought a bottle of Astragalus from a local grocery store which I usually do not purchase herbs from local stores as I really only trust the quality of a few select herb companies whom are not located near me so I purchase from them online, won't name any brands yet as I'm not sure if that is allowed.

Anyways I did a little research on the dosage of Huang-qi and I am wondering if the recommended dose on the bottle I purchased is way too low. I understand a minimum dose may be a decoction of at least 15 grams of root? The capsules I bought are not an extract just powdered root, and the dose on the bottle suggests 3 capsules twice daily, for a total daily dose of 2.82 grams which seems super low from what I have read.

I'm thinking I should order from one of the companies whom carries an extract or formula with Huang-qi in it online that specialize in only Chinese herbs.

Thoughts? Should I take more than the recommended dose and just buy from a trusted Chinese herb company nextbtime?

ngai Posted - 20/5/2016 14:10:10
Normally, should follow instruction of the supplement you bought.
Common dose mentioned in CP for Astragalus is 9-30g. The mentioned dose is for medicinal use not for health supplement.
Dosage for decoction and powder are different (Different dosage form).
Astragalus does have therapeutic effective on its own. Under the theory of Traditional Chinese medicine we use CM herbs in combination, seldomly use single herbs

Trevor Posted - 18/5/2016 4:04:46
Double post lol this forum has an interesting posting format lol not the easiest to make a post.
Trevor Posted - 18/5/2016 4:03:32
Oops typo above lol, *next time.

Also is Astragalus effective on its own? I am combining it with Reishi but noticed some other recommended herbs to combine with in the listing on this site.

I was taking a Jing building formula by Ron Teeguarden (won't mention company name if that name isn't familiar hehe) but my Teacher suggested it may be causing a hard to control libido hahaha and told me I shouldn't take it? I was a bit upset and suspicious she may not know all the herbs in the formula and perhaps was just trying to figure out why I wasn't staying celibate for my training (totally won't get more detailed than that haha). Anyways the first ingredient is Morinda, there is also He Shou Wu and Eucommia Bark as well as Astragalus. I thought taking it would help me get stronger in my training.

Trevor Posted - 18/5/2016 4:02:26
Oops typo above lol, *next time.

Also is Astragalus effective on its own? I am combining it with Reishi but noticed some other recommended herbs to combine with in the listing on this site.

I was taking a Jing building formula by Ron Teeguarden (won't mention company name if that name isn't familiar hehe) but my Teacher suggested it may be causing a hard to control libido hahaha and told me I shouldn't take it? I was a bit upset and suspicious she may not know all the herbs in the formula and perhaps was just trying to figure out why I wasn't staying celibate for my training (totally won't get more detailed than that haha). Anyways the first ingredient is Morinda, there is also He Shou Wu and Eucommia Bark as well as Astragalus. I thought taking it would help me get stronger in my training.

back