Home > Forum
Title: help with herb reaction
Reply this topic
Messager Message
bellily Posted - 13/9/2015 3:29:23
greetings and thank you for reading.
i'm at a loss because i think i have had a bad reaction to the herbs rxd by my acupuncturist. the doctor is chinese and my attempts to have her help me understand what is happening have failed due to the language barrier.

i sought out tcm because western med was not able to help me with a disturbing vision issue - i have one functioning eye and it has started blurring excessively, halos, starbursts, to variable degrees. western docs said i have dry eye and to take drops (no result what so ever). the acupuncturist really helped with this and continued treating me for two months, addressing the root problem of liver qi stag and blood/yin deficiency. although i have tried to educate myself on tcm, the language barrier makes it difficult to know how she got to this diagnosis, although the liver/eye connection makes sense.

the herbal formula in question is for yin and blood deficiency, to calm my spirit + help me sleep better. she has given me this combination on 9/2:
Powder Ingredients, 3 week regimen
Bupleurum chinense DC
Fossilia Ossia Mastodi
ostrea gigas thunberg
Cornus officinalis Sieb. et Zucc
GYPSUM FIBROSUM
Gardenia jasminoides Ellis - Zhi Zi
Tree Peony Bark - mu dan pi

Raw herb, boiled, drink liquid for 6 days----
Polygala tenuifolia Willd

TCM Posted - 19/9/2015 12:58:06
It is better to discuss the problem with your acupuncturist.

The herbs look fine, which help calm down, nourish blood and clear liver.

Are you taking other things?

bellily Posted - 13/9/2015 3:38:23
sorry for the double posts - was getting error messages and assumed they weren't posting.

truly sorry!

bellily Posted - 13/9/2015 3:36:52
.. i keep trying to post the rest of the story, but not managing to make it post.

keeping it short: eye blurries, very very bad anxiety at night during liver hours and beyond (and the day as well because i am at a complete loss), and add to that black tar stools (started two days ago, so all of this within slightly more than a week of starting this herb regimen).
is this a bad reaction?
if yes, how? what is going on?
thank you so much for reading.
any help is appreciated.

bellily Posted - 13/9/2015 3:35:55
.. i keep trying to post the rest of the story, but not managing to make it post.

keeping it short: eye blurries, very very bad anxiety at night during liver hours and beyond (and the day as well because i am at a complete loss), and add to that black tar stools (started two days ago, so all of this within slightly more than a week of starting this herb regimen).

is this a bad reaction?
if yes, how? what is going on?

thank you so much for reading.
any help is appreciated.

bellily Posted - 13/9/2015 3:32:13
continued:

when i google the components, it seems her goal is mostly to tranquilize me. that's not what happened though.

First reactions (first two days):
- unsettled thinking, not energetic enough to express these (notice this the next day)
- sleep: wake up during liver times, very anxious, weird drainage in throat, think i might forget to breathe, my chest area itches like crazy.
postoperative pain after a surgery is diminishing (the only good thing).
feel my body compressing, everything seems tauter, veins in my feet and hands prevalent.

Further reactions (day 3-5):
sleep- that pattern continues (even now after stopping the herb), i wake up between 12:30-1:30, usually from a crazy negative dream, followed by really depressing thoughts from 1-5 am, then good sleep that it is disappointing to wake from.
EYE BLURS up again dramatically, worse than what it was before, no longer variable but all the time. this is still going on and i have the screen very zoomed to be able to write this.

bellily Posted - 13/9/2015 3:31:14
continued:

when i google the components, it seems her goal is mostly to tranquilize me. that's not what happened though.

First reactions (first two days):
- unsettled thinking, not energetic enough to express these (notice this the next day)
- sleep: wake up during liver times, very anxious, weird drainage in throat, think i might forget to breathe, my chest area itches like crazy.
- postoperative pain after a surgery is diminishing (the only good thing).
- feel my body compressing, everything seems tauter, veins in my feet and hands prevalent.

Further reactions (day 3-5):
sleep- that pattern continues (even now after stopping the herb), i wake up between 12:30-1:30, usually from a crazy negative dream, followed by really depressing thoughts from 1-5 am, then good sleep that it is disappointing to wake from.
EYE BLURS up again dramatically, worse than what it was before, no longer variable but all the time. this is still going on and i have the screen very zoomed to be able to write this.

back