Home > Forum
Title: Medicine sensitivity
Reply this topic
Messager Message
Sue Posted - 16/6/2015 4:36:44
I'm 47 and am currently being treated by my tcm (acupuncture and medicine) for mid-cycle cramps which I've had for over 10 years. Recently, I found out that I have many small fibroids and possibly PCOS (conflicting results from 2 gynaes). Treatment seems to be going well but 2 weeks into treatment, I've developed very intense heart palpitations which occurs throughout the day and night. I do sometimes suffer from anxiety but never to the extent of having such bad and long periods of heart palpitations. I was advised by another (Western medicine) doctor to avoid caffeine and dong quai. Could dong quai or some other ingredient used to treat my mid-cycle cramp condition (and constipation) be causing the heart palpitations/panic attacks? I know for sure that I'm not suffering from anxiety right now as I have been in a good emotional state. I'm currently taking a break from the medicine and I'm already feeling the heart palpitations have stopped. I don't want to upset my tcm by questioning him but I do believe I might be sensitive to some ingredient in the medicine. Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Sue Posted - 17/6/2015 17:27:49
Thank you very much for your reply. I'm not experiencing hives or any skin itching. I did have slight nausea but that has been resolved after I took a break from the herbal medicine (3rd day now and heart palpitations have stopped completely). I'm not currently seeing a Western doctor, the dong quai advice was from some years back when I was having anxiety. During an annual body check earlier this year, all test results including resting ECG have been normal, apart from a slightly elevated cholesterol so I do not think I have any other underlying health issues. Actually, the heart palpitations and higher blood pressure from taking herbal medicine has happened before but unfortunately I was also not able to identify the cause. Is there a possibility that the herbal medicine is too "nourishing/warming" and my body isn't able to tolerate it? Anyhow, I will discuss with my tcm again. Thank you again.
TCM Posted - 17/6/2015 15:32:21
Chinese medicine can help to relieve the symptoms of fibroids and PCOS.
Heart palpitation is not a common sign of medicine sensitivity, do you have other signs like hives, skin itching or nausea?
It is better to inform your TCM physician about the opinions of your western doctor, let him check the prescription, and look for the cause.
If possible, he can modify the ingredients to help arrest the palpitation.

back