Home > Forum
Title: Asking TCM Dr. about diagnosis
Reply this topic
Messager Message
Anastasia Posted - 9/2/2015 5:30:22
Hi, I have been to several acupuncturists and TCM herbalists, but none of them have given me specifics about my diagnosis (i.e.: body type, specific info about whether my conditions are hot, cold, or a mix of both, what kind of pulse I have, which organs may be weaker, etc.). These are things I would really like to know, as I do study TCM independently and feel best when I am eating and living according to its basic principles. I feel a bit sheepish about asking my TCM doctors to give me more direct information- Is it reasonable to ask for that information (to me it seems so), and is there any reason why none of them offer it to the patient outright?
I wonder if it is partly because of the assumption that Americans just want a "quick fix" and don't care about information on how to transform their lifestyle into something that is enduringly healthy. I'd greatly appreciate any insight into this topic! thank you.
TCM Posted - 14/2/2015 12:51:33
They must have made a diagnosis before given you the treatments.

The basis theories of Chinese medicine are nothing more than yin yang, five elements, organs, meridians, blood or qi ˇK.. They are not simply indications or guidelines that you can use directly, ancient people didnˇ¦t know about kidneys, lungs, nerves system, or blood components as we understand in a modern sense, they only used these to describe the functions or phenomena of body. For modern people, we should regard them as some kinds of ˇ§viewˇ¨ or ˇ§thoughtˇ¨ that help explain the body functioning, guide clinical diagnosis and treatment as well. The interpreted outcomes can be different according to individual experiences or certain schools, and some may have conflicts too. As a result, opinions from physicians are not always the same, and even some may find it difficult to express verbally. Just be open-minded and willing to ask, you will find out many are right for you.

back